Friday 8 March 2013

It's a Girl

On this International Women's Day, I am delighted to share this precious tiny new girl, Elizabeth. This is a wonderful time to be a girl. This little one's mom is a smart, successful, beautiful woman who was also raised by one (yes, I've gotten to meet grandma too). This generation of girls is unstoppable and I cannot wait to see what my daughter and her peers are able to accomplish. Now more than ever, girls can work wherever they want, love whomever they want and be whatever kind of person they are inspired to be. We still have far to go. I still have plenty of beefs about equality and gender roles, but I'll save that rant for another day.

I am proud to be a woman. I delight in my femininity. My body has grown and nourished two tiny humans and I have had the privilege of attending university and travelling and doing all the things I want to do. I have never felt limited by being a woman, quite the opposite. I am also keenly aware that I am a LUCKY girl. As a canadian, I'm already among the wealthy and free. I was also raised to know my worth, and I will raise my daughter to know hers. 

 This tiny girl, with her sweet grin reminds me of my own newborns... So fresh and new and trusting of their world. When I was giving birth to my daughter, I had a moment of connection: I felt connected in a very real way to all mothers, everywhere. I felt their love for their children and a common fierce desire to protect them. That feeling has stayed with me. My wish is that all mothers have the tools and the ability to care for their families and give them the life they deserve. 

Girls and women worldwide continue to fight for respect, equality and freedom. I firmly believe that educating and empowering women is the key to ending the cycle of poverty and inequality that many still struggle with. On this day, it is worth exploring how you can support one of these movements. All little girls deserve to know how amazing they are and what they are capable of. 

Check out: Because I'm a Girl
Click "read more" to see more of lovely Elizabeth




Tiny girl and mama Anne


a kiss

watchful papa







No comments:

Post a Comment